Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Why I'll always be proud to be an Auburn Tiger

The National Championship game was rough. I grew up a Seminole fan and currently attend law school at Florida State, but I went to Auburn for undergrad. During the brief years I was there, Auburn captured my heart.

I never thought football would be a problem since FSU and Auburn hadn't played each other since 1990.

Boy, was I wrong.

In the weeks leading up to the game, I couldn't decide which side I should choose.  I couldn't bring myself to cheer against either team. When the game started, though, I felt like I was back in Jordan-Hare stadium as a freshman watching the eagle circle the field for the first time, and I knew I had to cheer for Auburn.

My first "war eagle" experience


Although we lost, Auburn didn't disappoint me. The Tigers gave the Noles the most challenging game they've had all season, and both teams proved that they truly deserved to be in the championship game.


As the game unfolded, I found another reason to be glad I had chosen the Tigers: fan attitudes.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of friends and family who are completely classy FSU fans*. But when FSU didn't take its usual obscenely large lead in the first half, my newsfeed began to fill up with comments like this:




FSU went on to make an incredible comeback and win the game, and Auburn fans reacted to the defeat a little differently. Here's what appeared from the Auburn fans in my newsfeed:






I couldn't be prouder to be a part of a family of fans that supports its team, win or lose. Maybe my assortment of Facebook friends is biased, but I didn't see a single status from an Auburn fan belittling the team or blaming the players.

FSU fans- shape up! Make me feel just as proud to be a part of the "Nole Nation" as I am to be a part of the "Auburn Family." Enjoy the win-- it came from hard work and lots of talent, and I'm thrilled to be a student at another National Championship school. Just remember that if you truly love your team, you love them through the wins AND the losses.

War eagle and go Noles!





*Seriously guys, I love you. This blog is not directed toward the fans who have been there through the thick and the thin, and I know that there are some fans who would never post things like this. Don't be mad. :)

** Also, please excuse me for stealing your statuses

No comments:

Post a Comment